W E ABBOTT HORSHAM POTTERY NORTH WILLOUGHBY ABBOTT & SON FIVE DOCK POTTERY
W ADAMS EUREKA POTTERY LEICHHARDT - Pottery operated 1897 - 1900
AGNEW & RUMBLE SANDHURST POTTERY DINMORE
BAKEWELL BROS BEULAH POTTERY WORKS ERSKINEVILLE POTTERY SYDNEY
F & H BALDOCK POTTERS CAMPERDOWN - Pottery operated 1877 - 1880
Frederick and Henry Baldock were in partnership with Michael Conlon in the establishment of the Redfern Pottery Works. Conlon later left to start his own Pottery at Glebe. In 1879 Frederick went into partnership with George Barr at London Pottery Works. They produced stoneware jugs, jars water filters, pots, mortars and pestles, mugs, ginger beer bottles, churns bread plates, bung jars, spirit barrels, demijohns, kegs, garden urns and fountains.
BALDOCK AND CONLON POTTERS GEORGE ST, REDFERN POTTERY - Pottery operated 1877
BENDIGO POTTERY CO LTD EPSOM BENDIGO G D GUTHRIE & CO
CHAS BENNETT MAGILL POTTERY WORKS
BOGNUDA HUDSON & CO RELIANCE POTTERY DINMORE - Operated 1887 - 1900
Matthew Bognuda and George Hudson established the Reliance Pottery in 1887, they produced stoneware garden pots, urns, jardinieres, water fountains, bread crocks, tea pots, water filters, butter churns, wine and spirit barrels, poultry fountains, teapots, jugs, spittoons, bowls, dishes, vases, water filters, storage jars, demijohns, butter coolers and ginger beer bottles. Changed name to Reliance and Dinmore Pottery in 1916, then in 1920 the partnership dissolved and became Hudson & Sons Reliance Pottery. George Hudson died in 1924 and his sons continued running the pottery until it closed in the 1970’s.
J BRAZIER MAKER KLEINTON POTTERY - Pottery operated 1910-1920
John Brazier was born in Birmingham England in 1857, arrived in Australia in July 1883. Settled in Mackay, worked burning and selling charcoal, moved to Coopers Plains in 1892 and started a Brick Making Business. In 1894 he started the Bundamba Brick and Tile Co, then in 1900 John moved to Kleinton and took up the site of the Toowoomba Brick Company and by 1910 was producing domestic pottery as well as bricks. Pottery produced included bread crocks, spirit barrels, bung jars, demijohns, tea pots, jugs and mixing bowls. He continued the business until 1920, when he retired and moved to Southport. John Brazier died in 1944.
JOHN CAMPBELL MANUFACTURER SANDHILL LAUNCESTON
BRISTOL POTTERY BRISBANE
J BROUGH VICTORIA POTTERY LAL LAL TRENTHAM POTTERY QUEENSLAND DINMORE
James Brough was born in Stoke-on Trent in 1850, son of a potter. Served his apprenticeship at Copeland and Sons Staffordshire pottery. Brough emigrated to Australia in 1875 and worked at Brunswick Pottery. In 1883 ha was appointed overseer at Lithgow Pottery, until he left in 1886 and went to work at Knight Brothers' Victoria Pottery in Lal Lal, then in 1890 Brough went back to Lithgow Pottery. He left there in 1894 and went on to Sydney Pottery Company until 1897 from there he went back to Melbourne and was employed at McNair Brothers' Burnley Pottery. TBC
CAPEL POTTERY WORKS W A - Pottery operated 1903 - 1904
Kendall & Turton established a Pottery at Barkers Creek in 1857, Hirschi & Lenne were the proprietors. They produced Flower Pots and Telegraphic Insulators.
CONLON & CO BROUGHTON STREET GLEBE - Pottery operated 1877 -
Michael Conlon was born in Wollongong in 1841, learnt his trade at Enoch Fowler’s Pottery in Glebe. He then went into partnership with the Baldock Brothers at Redfern Pottery Works. In 1877 Conlon started his own business in Glebe, then went into a partnership with John Cotter 1878. They produced bricks, pipes, ginger beer bottles, jars and pots.
A CORNWELL POTTERY BRUNSWICK
J TOOMEY UNION STREET WEST BRUNSWICK PLATE
COURTLAND & PEDERSON SYDNEY POTTERY WORKS BELMONT W A - Pottery operated 1903 - 1911
Ginger Beer Bottles from William Ride Benalla, Rowlands Ballarat, Chas Cole Geelong, Elliotts Melbourne are found with the C A P I stamp
DAHLKE'S FILTER & POTTERY CO MELBOURNE - Pottery operated
R DAVIES SOUTH AUSTRALIAN POTTERY MAGILL
A DAWES MARRICKVILLE POTTERY SYDNEY
DINMORE POTTERY - Operated 1884 - 1889
FEDERAL POTTERY MAYLANDS SOUTH AUSTRALIA
D FENSOM QUEENSLAND POTTERY SOUTH BRISBANE - Pottery operated 1878 - 1884
T FIELD POTTER SYDNEY
G FISCHER POTTERY BREAKFAST CREEK BRISBANE - Pottery operated 1868 - 1878
G A FISCHER BUNDABERG POTTERY - Pottery operated 1897 - 1925
E FOWLER SYDNEY - Pottery operated 1837 - 1873
A A FRITSCH MELBOURNE POTTERY
G R FERRY TERRA COTTA WORKS BRUNSWICK
J GARE CASTLEMANE POTTERY
J GILSON PIONEER POTTERY KLEINTON Q - Pottery operated 1907 - 1912
GILSON & RUMBLE DINMORE POTTERY IPSWICH
GOULBOURN STREET POTTERY HOBART - Pottery operated 1849 - 1851
Charles Tibbs was born in 1830 in Hobart, at the age of 17 he established the Goulbourn Street Pottery, short lived venture due to quality of his products. He produced flower pots, lidded bung jars, jugs, crocks and bottles.
L GULSON ALBURY POTTERY - Operated 1883 - 1888
Luke Gulson was born 1841 in Kelvedon, England, emigrated to Australia in 1865, and settled in Albury. Soon after re-established Kinton Brickworks in David Street. In 1883 James Plumridge was employed and helped establish Albury Pottery. Business closed in 1888, due to the Gulson’s poor health. Luke Gulson died in 1895 aged 54. The Albury Pottery produce stoneware flower pots, vases, butter coolers, baking dishes, mixing bowls, storage jars, bottles demijohns, crocks, water filters, milk churns, wine barrels, flower baskets and boilers.
G D GUTHRIE POTTER CAMPERDOWN SYDNEY - Pottery operated 1851 - 1852
George Duncan Guthrie was born in Johnstone, Scotland in 1828. Migrated to Australia, arrived on the ship “Washington” after the ship was wrecked off Cape Troubridge, South Australia in 1850. Guthrie made his way to Sydney. In 1851 in Partnership with Michael Doyle established the Camperdown Pottery. They produced ginger beer bottles and bricks. Venture with Doyle was dissolved in 1854, after Guthrie had spent some time in Melbourne operating a import - export business. Guthrie would later go on to establish the Bendigo Pottery.
HALL & SILCOCK LATE TURTON & SON WARATAH POTTERY WORKS - Pottery operated 1886 - 1889
F A HARRIS FITZROY POTTERY - Pottery operated 1878 - 1888
Frank Arthur Harris was born in Melbourne in 1853 and died early 1900's. Harris became prominent in Preston in 1878 when he started The Fitzroy Steam Brick Pipe Tile and Pottery Works in Collier Street. His business was successful up until he sold his interest in 1888, getting out at the right time as the Maritime Strike of 1890 and the depression of the early 1890’s saw the new company, the Builders’ Brick and Tile Company, forced into liquidation in March 1893.
HART & GALLAGHER STANDARD PETERSHAM
Henry Hart and Edward Gallagher established the Standard Pottery in 1886, changed name to Standard Steam & Pottery Works in 1890. They produced garden pots and urns, bird fountains and nesting boxes, garden edge tiles and chimney pots. Company ceased making these wares in 1891, due to increased competition, continued manufacturing bricks and pipes until operation was completely closed in 1920.
A HILLCOAT POTTERY E MAITLAND - Pottery operated 1872 - 1906
Anthony Hillcoat was born in 1833 in Scotland, emigrated to Australia in 1856. Helped set up Alfred Cornwell’s Brunswick Pottery in 1859. In 1865 Hillcoat moved to Newcastle and worked in James Turton’s Waratah Pottery. Then in 1872 he bought Auckett’s East Maitland Pottery, producing stoneware ginger beer bottles, wine and spirit barrels, demijohns, flower pots, storage jars, blacking bottles, churns, jugs, teapots, bung jars, ink bottles, water filters and fountains. Anthony Hillcoat died in 1898, aged 65. His sons ran the Pottery until 1906, when it was sold to Frederick Fieldend.
HINDMARSH POTTERY - Pottery operated 1866 - 1873
H L & E MAKERS BEECHWORTH - Pottery operated 1886 - 1888
Richard Hambleton, George Lindop and Benjamin Eastwood took over the site of the Beechworth Pottery Company Limited at Hurdle Flat in 1886. Short lived venture, with Ovens Pottery Co Ltd taking over in 1888. They produced storage jars, pots, demijohns and bottles.
HOFFMAN COY POTTERY WORKS BRUNSWICK
HOLDFORD & SON STANDARD POTTERY NORTH SHORE - Pottery operated 1884- 1887
A T HOLROYD & RINDER SHERWOOD POTTERY
They produce stoneware butter coolers, demijohns, flower pots, teapots, cups and saucers, plates, cheese covers, jugs, mugs, ewers, ginger beer bottles, crocks, vases, basins, storage jars, pots, spittoons, foot warmers and bowls. Pieces are marked HORSHAM W M G
HUON POTTERY - Operated 1851 - 1852
Established in 1851 by R Hill & Co, appears to be a short lived venture with advertising for the Huon Pottery ceasing in 1852. They produce stoneware flower pots, teapots, cups and saucers, plates, cheese covers, jugs, mugs, ewers, ginger beer bottles, crocks, vases, basins, storage jars, pots and bowls.
INDUSTRIAL BRICK CO WATERLOO POTTERY
IRRAWANG AUSTRALIA POTTERY JAMES KING - Pottery operated 1835-1852
A JAMES COORPAROO POTTERY WORKS S B ADVANCE QUEENSLAND- Operated 1889 -1892
A T KNIGHT & LEIGHTON VICTORIA POTTERY LAL LAL - Pottery operated 1876-1891
J C KOSTER PREMIER S A POTTERY NTH NORWOOD - Pottery operated 1888 - 1980
Charles Koster, was born in Adelaide in 1855, actually christened Johann
Carl. At 15 he started working for a local brickmaker James Cox.
Started his own brickworks in partnership with Emanuel Reedy in 1880.
Partnership dissolved in 1886, then in 1888 Koster started his own Pottery in
North Norwood, called it Premier Pottery. Koster died in 1912 aged 57, his wife
Alice and son Edward took over the Pottery. Alice died in 1937, leaving
Edward to run the Pottery. Bit of a scandal in 1977 when an office
manager embezzled a huge amount of money and Edward was forced to sell, he died
a year later in 1978. The pottery closed in 1980, and the Norwood Council
landscaped the area and called it Koster Park
LANE COVE BRICK AND POTTERY WORKS WILLOUGBY - Pottery operated 1889 - 1990
JONATHAN LEAK – Pottery operated 1821-1838
Born in Burslem, England 1777, learnt his trade at local Staffordshire Potteries. Convicted for theft in 1819, was transported to Australia on Brig ‘Recovery”, arrived 18th December 1819. Leak worked in Government Pottery until 1821 when he set up his own Pottery, which operated until his death in 1838. Leak produced stoneware ginger beer bottles, blacking jars, jugs, pots, demijohns, spirits barrels, pipes, tiles and bricks.
JONATHAN LEAK MAKER SYDNEY 1829 CLAY POTTERY EARTENWARE STONEWARE BOTTLE JAR
HP NED SMITH J LEAK CLAY POTTERY EARTENWARE STONEWARE BOTTLE JAR
LEIPER BROS NORTH SYDNEY BRISTOL POTTERY - Pottery operated 1893 - 1898
LITHGOW KANGAROO TRADE MARK POTTERY
LONDON POTTERY MAYLANDS ADELAIDE S A
LONGUEVILLE POTTERY CO
LONGWOOD S A SOUTHERN CROSS POTTERY
JOHN McADAM HYDE PARK POTTERY WESLEY HILL CASTLEMAINE
G McARTHUR - Pottery operated 1838-1842
Gilbert McArthur was born in 1803 in Greenock, Scotland. Migrated to Australia and arrived on the ship “Minerva” in 1838. Established a pottery in Camperdown producing bricks and ginger beer bottles. Bottles marked with Brewers Name made by Mcarthur include N Dunn, C Dunn and J Munro. Pottery closed in 1842. In 1857 Gilbert’s son Gilbert Jnr, established the Clyde Pottery in Camperdown, moved to Ashfield in 1904 and was sold to William Abbott. They produced The Clyde Cooler, a butter cooler, also flower pots, chimney pots and jars.
G McARTHER MISSPELT McARTHURS CLYDE POTTERY CAMPERDOWN & ASHFIELD
McHUGH BROS POTTERIES LAUNCESTON
H McHugh TASMANIA
McNAIR BROS BURNLEY POTTERY RICHMOND
W MALKIN BRUNSWICK POTTERY
MARRICKVILLE POTTERY CO
G MARKS & COYTE BALLART POTTERY
MASHMAN BROS CARRINGTON POTTERY CHATSWOOD WILLOUGHBY NSW
MASHMAN & SANDISON VICTORIA POTTERY NT WILLOUGHBY
E MEREDITH POTTERY MARYBOROUGH - Operated 1900 - 1925
MILLS & CO FEDERAL POTTERY BRUNSWICK
MILLS & CO CR PIER & MURRAY STS PERTH POTTERY
S MILLINGTON NORTHAM POTTERY WORKS
I MORETON & SONS – Pottery operated 1820-1844
N DUNN MORETON J MUNRO MORETON G W MORETON I PARKER MORETON LEES IMPERIAL GINGER BEER MORETON
T STEDMAN I MORETON & SONS POTTERS CLAY BOTTLE JAR
MORWELL TILE & POTTERY Co MORWELL - Pottery operated 1890 - 1918
Established in 1890 by James Henty of Melbourne, he procured a 12 acre site near the Morwell Railway Station. By 1904 the Company had changed name to Morwell Brick, Tile and Pottery Co. Ceased operation in 1918 when the Company was dissolved. As well as bricks and tiles they produced stoneware teapots, jugs, cheese covers, crocks, water filters, barrels, spittoons, vases, jardiniers, urns, flower pots, storage jars, bottles and demijohns.
NATURAL PRODUCTS MANUFACTURING COMPANY LIMITED HORSHAM POTTERY
L NOLAN GILBROOK POTTERY BRUNSWICK - Pottery operated 1862 - 1909
OVENS POTTERY COY LTD BEECHWORTH PATD 1890 - Pottery operated 1890 - 1892
Ovens Pottery Co Ltd took over H L & E Pottery Beechworth in 1888, closed in 1891 due to growing debts. They produce stoneware garden urns, vases, cheese dishes, ginger beer bottles, butter coolers, water filters, wine and spirit barrels, bread plates, jugs, teapots, storage jars, pots, tiles, flower pots, spittoons, basins, bowls, demijohns, lidded crocks, pipes and bricks.
PAGE MAITLAND POTTERY
J PAULS POTTERY SYDNEY - Operated 1874-1877
John Paul established the Alexandria Pottery in 1874 where he produced ginger beer bottles, storage jars, demijohns and wine barrels. Pottery finished up in 1877, he later, in 1890 established the Waterloo Pottery, which finished up in 1898.
W PIERCY S A POTTERY MAGILL - Pottery operated 1870 - 1877
William Piercy born in Nettlebed England in 1834, arrived in Adelaide aboard the Ship “Trevlyan” in 1866. Formed a partnership with Robert Davies and established the South Australian Pottery. Partnership with Davies ceased in 1869, and Piercy continued the business on his own. In 1877 he formed another partnership with Thomas Tyley, and continued until 1885, when William Piercy died aged 51. They produced stoneware pans, jugs, vases, ginger beer bottles, demijohns, storage jars, bung jars, urns, crocks, barrels, flower pots, butter coolers and water filters.
PHOENIX POTTERY COMPANY N S W J SAMPER - Pottery operated 1885 - 1890
PIONEER POTERY WORKS BALLARAT J PUMRIDGE
PITMAN & PIERCY W A POTTERY BELMONT Pottery operated 1903 - 1905
J PLUMRIDGE POTTERY & TILE WORKS ADELAIDE LEAD MARYBOROUGH
PORT ARTHUR TAS POTTERY - Pottery operated 1888 - 1911
ROGERS & CO MAKERS IPSWICH Q'NSLAND - Pottery operated 1888 - 1898
J SANDISON VICTORIA POTTERY EKIBIN
R SCOTT BRISBANE POTTERY - Pottery operated 1857 - 1872
Produced stoneware baking dishes, water filters, churns, water jugs, storage jars, pipkins, teapots, vases, pots and bottles
J SHERWIN - Pottery operated 1830 - 1854
James Sherwin was born in Staffordshire, England in 1788, he moved to Russia and set up a Pottery in 1821. He then emigrated to Australia in 1830, after a disastrous flood that claimed the life of his wife and son. He established a Pottery at Potters Hill, Kangaroo Bottom. Hobart soon after. Sherwin ran a successful business producing quality wares until his death in 1854. He produced stoneware flower pots, teapots, cups and saucers, plates, cheese covers, jugs, mugs, ewers, ginger beer bottles, vases, basins, storage jars, pots and bowls.
J SILCOCKS 1866 WARATAH POTTERY - Pottery operated 1886 - 1930's
SAMUEL SKINNER - Pottery operated 1803 - 1807
Samuel Skinner was born in Bampton, England in 1773, arrived in Australia with his tried, convicted and transported wife Mary on Ship “Nile” in 1801. Skinner established a Pottery in Pitt’s Row in 1803. The pottery ceased to operate after Samuel Skinners death 1807. He produced stoneware flower pots, teapots, cups and saucers, plates, cheese covers, jugs, mugs, ewers, ginger beer bottles, vases, basins, jars. pots and bowls.
STOURBRIDGE BRICK & POTTERY WORKS
SYDNEY POTTERY CO - Pottery operated 1890 - 1900
JOHN H TREWINNICK POTTER & PIPE MAKER MAGILL NEAR ADELAIDE - Pottery operated 1855 - 1870
R TURTON WARATAH POTTERY 1866
W F VICTORIA ART POTTERY V A P
WALKER BENSON LTD MERRYLANDS CLAUDE POTTERY
N WELHAM POTTERY NEWCASTLE - Pottery operated 1856 - 1869
GEORGE WESTMORELAND NORTHCOTE POTTERY
T WILKES BRISTOL POTTERY EMU - Pottery operated 1891 - 1893
Thomas Wilkes leased Phoenix Pottery site in Sydney in 1891, he produced ginger beer bottles, storage jars, demijohns, bird fountains and barrels. Site was bought by Leiper Bros in 1893, forcing Wilkes out of business.
WILSON & RIDGE YARRAVILLE - Pottery operated 1874 - 1897
Jacques Wilson formed a partnership with James Ridge and established the Footscray Pottery in 1877. By 1888 the clay source had run out, so he Pottery was moved to Yarraville and named Melbourne Pottery Works. Anew company, Yarraville Pottery Works Ltd was started in 1896, but ceased operation on 1897. They produced wall plaques, bread plates, give us this day our daily bread plates, ginger beer bottles, bowls, jars, dishes, spittoons, teapots, jugs, basins, baking dishes, jam pots, butter coolers, spirit and wine barrels and demijohns.
A WORBEY - Pottery operated 1879 - 1892
Alexander Worbey took over former James Sherwin Pottery site in 1879, more like “Studio” Pottery, he produced Rockingham glazed teapots, jugs, comports, storage jars, vases, jardinieres, pots, flower pots and basins. Worbey ceased Pottery in 1892 when he went to Launceston to work at McHugh Brothers Pottery.
YEATES LONGFORD - Pottery operated 1849 - 1851
Henry Yeates was born in 1794 in England, transported to Sydney in 1814 for stealing. He was moved from Sydney to Port Arthur in 1821 and released in 1822. Established the Longford Pottery in 1849, short lived venture lasting only two years. Yeates died in Longford in 1861 aged 68. He produced stoneware bung jars, flower pots, cream pans, baking dishes, bottles, demijohns and barrels.
Listen to an ABC radio interview by clicking on the link
Rediscovering Jonathan Leak
Artware to Utility - the story of Modern Ceramic Products
Melrose Art Pottery 1931 – 1942
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AUSTRALIAN POTTERY
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AUSTRALIAN POTTERY
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AUSTRALIAN POTTERY
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AUSTRALIAN POTTERY
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AUSTRALIAN POTTERY